Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

Tony Caught acaught@bigpond.net.au
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:51:08 +0930

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tony Caught=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 10:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

  Hi all,

  Yamaha flanges are already pinned and the travelling of the hammers is =
restricted to about two or three hammers. Its aligning with the strings =
that counts. So, Remove the flanges means remove the hammer assemblys, =
replace the flanges, replace the hammer assemblys, align hammers to =
strings, reface the hammers, jobs done.
  Or.
  Remove hammers only leaving flanges in place, remove dampers, strip =
old cords out of flanges, replace cords, replace dampers, replace =
hammers. Jobs done.

  Me, I generally want to reface the hammers so I have a lot of flanges =
that I have recorded whilst whatching TV or something.

  Time for both jobs is roughly the same, cost of new flanges is an =
extra, profit on time is the same.

  Your call

  Tony Caught
  Adelaide Australia
  acaught@bigpond.net.au

  David,=20

  I used the cord from Schaff, part number 932.  =20

  As far as efficiency, I think I'll leave that question to someone who =
has done both.  My first thought was that it would be quicker to replace =
flanges, but from what I gather, in addition to the removal of the =
hammer assembly and repinning, there would be some travelling of hammers =
to contend with as well.   =20

  The next time I do this job--in a couple of weeks--I should be pretty =
much an expert at it.  =20

  Dave Stahl=20

  ---