New Baldwin

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:41:05 -0700

A client of mine has a new Mason and Hamlin BB, 7' grand.  He has a
particularly keen ear, and any tonal problems give him grief.  The piano was
bought new in 2003.  I have worked on it a couple of times, and the tech
from the store has been there once.  The problem is C7 through F#7 notes.
On each of these notes there is at least one string that has wildly false
beats.  The G7 on up to C8 sound beautiful and clear.  Below the C7 is
likewise clear.  The C7 and the D# 7 are particularly bad.  In each case it
is the treble (right) string that is the problem.  I made sure that the
string is tight to the bridge.  There doesn't seem to be any impediment at
the v bar.   I "delicately" voiced with a needle, all to no avail.  Any
suggestions as to cause or cure????

Ed Carwithen

John Day, OR