New BB

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:32:26 -0400

Perhaps the right strings' bridge pin are loose? Try putting a bit of=20
pressure on that bridge pin while playing the note. Does the false beat=20=

disappear? If so, one could tap the bridge pin in slightly to get it=20
snug again. If the pins are really loose, drop the tension, pull the=20
pin, swag the hole with a bit of epoxy, drive the pin back in, bring=20
the string back up to tension, tune until stable.
Patrick Draine

On Jun 20, 2004, at 5:41 PM, Ed Carwithen wrote:

> A client of mine has a new Mason and Hamlin BB, 7=92 grand.=A0 He has =
a=20
> particularly keen ear, and any tonal problems give him grief.=A0 The=20=

> piano was bought new in 2003.=A0 I have worked on it a couple of =
times,=20
> and the tech from the store has been there once.=A0 The problem is C7=20=

> through F#7 notes.=A0 On each of these notes there is at least one=20
> string that has wildly false beats.=A0 The G7 on up to C8 sound=20
> beautiful and clear.=A0 Below the C7 is likewise clear.=A0 The C7 and =
the=20
> D# 7 are particularly bad.=A0 In each case it is the treble (right)=20
> string that is the problem.=A0 I made sure that the string is tight to=20=

> the bridge.=A0 There doesn=92t seem to be any impediment at the v =
bar.=A0=A0 I=20
> =93delicately=94 voiced with a needle, all to no avail.=A0 Any =
suggestions=20
> as to cause or cure????
>
> =A0
>
> Ed Carwithen