Soundboard Cleaning

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 04:33:56 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Bazemore" <tunericks@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 6:10 AM
Subject: Soundboard Cleaning

> On this subject Reblitz recommends using the soundboard steel with a cloth
moistened with the water/vinegar solution.  My question is wouldn't the
moisture in the cloth coming in contact with the strings cause them to rust?

> I am scheduled to do this procedure Wednesday and would appreciate your
>
> Rick Bazemore

    Yeah, the T-shaped, or squeegee-shaped tools are great.  But you don't
have to use them directly on the soundboard.  Use them in conjunction with a
rag or dustcloth.  Dampen the rag, maybe with a little household cleaner,
depending how dirty the board is, and use the tools to push the rag around
with.  That way the felt on them never gets very dirty or worn-down.  You
can use a soundboard steel also, but you have to file off the sharp edges so
they don't scratch the board, which is hard to do because it's tempered
steel.  So, better, get some heat-shrink tubing that just fits over the
soundboard steel and shrink it with a heat gun around the steel.  I find the
soundboard steel useful for pushing and pulling rags under the plate, behind
the bridge, under the bass strings on top of the bridge apron, and up front
between the strings and the plate web on some pianos.  Also the long one is
useful for fishing out vibrating objects from under the plate.  A 1 in. wide
paintbrush in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner crevice tool is very good
for cleaning around the edge of the plate, getting the dust loose from
bridge pins, and in the tuning pin area.
    --David Nereson, RPT