Renner Action?

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:09:10 +1000

>  A client has a chance to purchase a 9' Baldwin, about 1996-7 vintage, one
>owner, mint/new condition for less than $60,00.00, and was wondering if that
>was a good price and if it has a Renner action.  I haven't seen the piano,
>but know that Baldwin did use Renner actions in earlier years. Any one
>familiar with this piano that knows the action?
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul C

Hi Paul,

The SD-10 of this vintage is a very good design. In rebuilt form it
is potentially one of the finest concert grands on the planet.
Serious (all fixable) reservations I have about this piano in
standard form include the sloppy workmanship during manufacture, the
capo/duplex insert system is very noisy - the large bearing and
counter-bearing radius is a major problem which responds well to an
hour or two with a small angle grinder, and yes it does have a Renner
action but the geometry is a mess. The SD-10's action-response, in
standard form, is rather 'agricultural'. A geometry change can be
made by repositioning the capstan and wippen heel on the standard
keyboard. The trash OEM hammers will have to go as well. Might be an
opportunity for you to try a set of Wurzen felted hammers. Judging
from the images I've seen on the list, the Wurzen felted Ronsen looks
like a good local choice.

We're just about to rebuild an SD-10 that we first rebuilt in 1988.
This time its getting a new keyboard (with a repositioned balance
rail to correct the action geometry problem) and an Overs action.

I'm currently drawing the keyboard for Rick Wheeler to build it for us.

Best,

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY