Unrestored value of concert Chickering, 1925 ?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:48:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Terry.
    I look forward to the "Big Boys'" responses here,
too.
     My two bits, though: 1890's Knabes are some of
the most astounding bits of fanatical perfectioinist
piano construction ever. Their profit margin must have
been very slim, indeed. ( And the cases were
spectacular! )  They became much more "typical" after
the American acquisition, but were still of
high-quality. A little less after the merger with
Aeolian in 1930. And not much fun at all by the time
the comopany went bankrupt in the 1970's.
    Pre-"American" Chickerings, though, were bizarre
experiments wherein almost every piano had some unique
thing going on ( except the uprights, which were solid
and staunch ). And they deteriorated tonally, very
badly. With the possible exception of the Fat Tail
grands of about 1905. I have heard that Widow
Chickering had very little control over the workers at
the factory, who went a tad wild in the
R& D department before American put leashes on them,
so to speak !
     The acquisition of Chickering, therefore, led to
much more standardization and uniformity in its
product. And pretty good quality. Just like Knabe.
And, like Knabe, not much fun, in fact much, much
less, by the time AA went under.
     The above just represents what I seem to have
observed.
     Thump