Complete Regulation for the Grand Piano

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 04:05:11 EDT

On a new piano that has been out of the factory for a month or so I would
spend around 8 to 12 hours.  That would include voicing.  On a piano action in my
shop that has had the parts replaced or rebuilt it could take a week or more.
 A typical in -house regulation that has a keylevel that is pretty close, no
bizarre problems and is under 20 years old, a good day will generally do it.
There are so many variables that this question is very difficult to surmise.
Red flags are Chickerings, Horugel, Brown actions, old no name pot metal
bracket grands manufactured prior to WWII,  Kimball Petites, Petrofs, etc.  I
charge by the hour and from experience can estimate how many hours that will be.  I
usually do all repairs in shop, bushing, pinning, etc. then deliver and
regulate in the piano. With brand new parts I rough it in at the shop, return it,
regulate there and then return a week or so later to fine regulate and finish
voicing. TP