DON'T BUY PEPSI IN THE NEW CAN ! (MISSING "UNDER GOD")

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 2 May 2004 01:19:47 -0400

Hi Rob,

> So then what you are saying is that life as we know it will never be the
> same, we will all be forced into oppression, and everyone will be forced
> into church because the work God is in the pledge?

No.  I'm saying *some* of us are "forced into oppression" by having to
profess beliefs we don't have -- sometimes in a court of law, and sometimes
under penalty of imprisonment.  I'm a person of conscience, and I really
detest the fact that our government mandates that I lie about my beliefs or
lack thereof.  I'm constantly amazed at how glibly Americans proclaim that
this is a free country.  True, it's "free" for some people, but certainly
not for all -- perhaps not even for most.

Of course if you are a Christian, especially one who believes is your
responsibility to proselytize, mandating "God-speak" in government affairs
probably wouldn't trouble you.  But what if you had to renounce your belief
in God in a court of law or be charged with contempt of court?  As a child,
what if you had to recite a pledge with the phrase, "one nation, founded on
the nonexistence of any supreme being... ?"  How would you feel then?
Oppressed, perhaps?

Perhaps you wouldn't care anyway, because you would tell yourself they're
only words or that it's all merely a formality or a tradition.  Some people
are that way.  But what if words really mattered to you?  What if you valued
truth above all else?  Some people are that way too.  I know, because I'm
one of them.

>  Is God really that bad?
> Are you afraid of God?  You should be.

If I should be afraid of a vindictive god who would punish me for
questioning its existence or critically pondering the mysteries of the
universe (indeed, punish me for exhibiting human curiosity), then yes, God
is really that bad.

However, I would think that would not be the nature of any supreme being.
If there were that sort of evil god watching out over our thoughts like Big
Brother, eager to destroy us for daring to think and question, then I would
have been vaporized by a bolt of lightning decades ago!

Surely human curiosity is not a sin.  Surely the real sin would be to numb
our minds to the profundity of our universe, cowering in fear that we would
somehow anger the gods by daring to question the dogma that is written for
us in "The Book."

Food for thought, I hope

Peace,
Sarah