hammer rail felt

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 09:09:29 -0500

Terry,

How about adding a key bushing felt strip to what's already there? It
doesn't compress much and usually gets you really close.

I don't worry about it being pretty since it's usually out of sight. ;-)

When you say it's not easy getting hammer felt scrap "uniform," do you mean
the same thickness? If so, how about removing some of the felt by sanding
with 150 grit paper?

John Formsma
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of pianolover 88
  Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 11:29 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: hammer rail felt

  anyone have a line on where i can find those little dense felt squares
used to regulate hammer blow distance? I've looked in the usual supply
catalogues, but haven't seen them. Am I just NOT seeing it? I hate to just
trim off old pieces of softer felt from whatever/whetrever...it looks sloppy
and will compress in time becuase it's soft. I think it would be ideal to
have dense felt squares available in 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" sizes. wish I knew
where to get it. I do kinda like the "screw" method of adjusting blow by
turning the screw in or out,  like I've seen on steinway uprights. Actually,
I have tried cutting my own pieces from hammer felt scrap, but it's not easy
getting them uniform. any ideas???

  Terry Peterson

--
Premium!