Removing celluloid keytops?

Randy Rush randyrush@earthlink.net
Sun, 2 May 2004 10:26:30 -0700

Joe:

Have you tried using heat with these older keytops?  You might just give =
it a shot with a couple and see how it works.  I've actually had pretty =
good luck with a dry iron, watched very carefully.  (I've only started =
one small fire, early in my career, while I was still figuring this =
out.)  If you watch it carefully, keep checking and prying with a knife, =
you can figure out what the optimal time of heating is for slicing or =
pulling it off without pulling off excess wood or melting it so it =
becomes unworkable.

Randy Rush

>The usual "glue" that was used to attach celluloid was some sort of MEK
based stuff that, in and of itself, is very flammable. The celluloid is
flammable. So...., heat is not really an option and IMHO only makes the
celluloid soft, but doesn't really break down the bond of the =
"adhesive".