paint over finish

David Wine dwine@MIT.EDU
Mon, 3 May 2004 09:35:18 -0400

I looked at a used piano yesterday, a Yamaha U1 about 15 years old, =
Walnut
finish.  It appeared to my (layperson engineer's) inspection in great =
shape,
except the poor instrument had been amateurishly painted over with white
paint "to match the decor."  (And one back top corner of the cover had =
been
superficially knocked and poorly repaired.)  The white paint seemed like =
sort of flat wall paint, and was described as "sponge paint."  It was
painted on the outside only, and not around the keyboard or the inside =
of
the keyboard cover.  The finish that was undisturbed seemed fine, and I
could scratch the paint off with a fingernail.  The finish underneath =
had
not apparently been prepared for repainting.
=20
Is there any way of refinishing this without a total finish restoration?
How much should I factor this into the cost?  What if it takes a more
extensive refinish job?  Who should I look for to do the work if I can't =
do
it myself?
=20
--David