paint over finish

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 3 May 2004 11:40:49 -0400

MessageComments below:

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Wine=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 9:35 AM
  Subject: paint over finish

  I looked at a used piano yesterday, a Yamaha U1 about 15 years old, =
Walnut finish.  It appeared to my (layperson engineer's) inspection in =
great shape, except the poor instrument had been amateurishly painted =
over with white paint "to match the decor."  (And one back top corner of =
the cover had been superficially knocked and poorly repaired.)  The =
white paint seemed like a sort of flat wall paint, and was described as =
"sponge paint."  It was painted on the outside only, and not around the =
keyboard or the inside of the keyboard cover.  The finish that was =
undisturbed seemed fine, and I could scratch the paint off with a =
fingernail.  The finish underneath had not apparently been prepared for =
repainting.

  Is there any way of refinishing this without a total finish =
restoration? =20

  Not properly.

  How much should I factor this into the cost? =20

  $1,000 to $2,000

  What if it takes a more extensive refinish job? =20

  $3,000

  Who should I look for to do the work if I can't do it myself?

  Piano rebuilder/technician.

  OR, just go find another piano. There are approximately 6,897,923 =
Yamaha U1s for sale at any given point in time.

  --David

  --=20
  David Wine
  617.548.8694