steinway over hardened hammer

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 5 May 2004 14:59:31 -0700

Hi, Richard,

Quoting richard.ucci@att.net:

> Horace,
>
> I believe it is acetone. It was the standard hardener sold by
> Schaff,undiluted.

I was afraid of that.  This limits your options pretty severely.  Basically
to two, with the main differences being how much time your (and the owner)
have and the non-musical state of things.

If you have time, that is, if you can arrange to make a couple of trips
back, I would try dripping some acetone into the strike point and allowing
it to dampen, but not deeply penetrate the hammer.  Put a piece of aluminum
foil over the hammer to retard evaporation a bit.  With luck, if the hammer
is not too saturated, you should be able to leach some of the hardener out
of the immediate area of the strike point (and farther down the shoulders
of the hammer).  Depending on what the outcome of the first application
shows, you might either then go to needles or use a second application of
acetone.

If you do not have time (and, these days, who does?), you can try to
reestablish some resiliancy in the crown area of the hammer.  Depending on
how hard the hammer has become, you might be able to use 1, 2, or 3
needles, roughly 3/8" long and work carefuly to restore things.

Hammers need to work like progressive-rate coil springs.  This means that
they must be increasingly dense (less resiliant/pliable) as one moves from
the surface toward the molding.  Doing too much, too deeply destroys the
core of the tone leaving you with mush.  Doing too much, too shallow leaves
a hammer which may sound OK at pp/p/mp, pretty blasty/nasty at FF and have
very little range inbetween.

At this point, you might want to be prepared to brighten up some of the
surrounding hammers (a small amount) to help with evening things out.

As a FYI based on years of painful experience, I virtually never "voice"
only a single note, or selected notes for a client.  In almost every case
that I have been asked to do that, the real request is to make the
instrument compensate for the technical shortcomings of the player.  Ask
them to play several different pieces, scales, perhaps some etudes.  That
way, you can get a much better picture than if they always are playing with
their fourth finger on, say, a leading tone which harmonically needs to be
accented, but for which they do not have the strength.  Obviously, I might
wind up doing precisely what they have asked for, but only after I have
worked out for myself that making the change makes sense for the instrument
in question.

Also endemic with many owners of smaller S&S models is the need for the
poor 5'7" M to sound like the ~9' D they used to play in their
undergraduate days/whatever.  It simply isn't going to happen; and getting
into that is pretty much always a losing proposition for the technician.

Hope there is some help in there for you.

Best.

Horace