steinway over hardened hammer

Thu, 06 May 2004 08:43:44 +0200

Just for the sake of debate and to stimulate a bit of thought... I would
like to question why it is that techs so often seem so ready to reach
for the hammer dope bottle.

I mean...ok so you want to harden up a little...   And the last thing
one seems to think about is needling.... as if many seem to think that
needling is just for softening up the tone.  So out with the dope.. and
since often enough you have not worked on a given instrument before you
dont really know whats going to happen... so you end up doping.. then
needling. then doping again... and so on.. and the next guy comes along
and does more of the same... then before you know it you've
reconstituted the  basic material the hammer is made of to some
combination of fabric and diverse chemicals.

Seems to me that if laquer first is to be used.. then it should be only
because all standard needling up techniques are exhausted and one truely
has no other choice.

Cheers
RicB