steinway over hardened hammer

Wed, 5 May 2004 20:26:29 -0700

While I agree that an overneedled hammer will not respond in the same way,
you can usually tap some reserve out of a tensioned hammer by needling down
near the staple--battery needling, I think Andre O. refers to it. I must
say that I have never seen a hammer such as a Renner or Abel hammer, one
that is designed to be voiced with needles rather than lacquer, and that
has been lacquered, respond by getting louder or brighter when needling in
the shoulder. The application of lacquer on these types of hammers usually
ruins them. Nor have I seen a lacquered hammer (one that is designed to be
lacquered) get brighter or louder with needling. If you want that type of
hammer to get louder, you have to add more juice (or mass).

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net