steinway over hardened hammer

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 11:09:36 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2004 12:03:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
Of course this requires a hammer that has tension available to release.
Lacquered hammers do not. Or if they ever did the lacquer inhibits
that.... so once you go down that lacquer road you've forever removed
this quality from the hammer.  I would suspect that's a big part of why
many voicers view lacquer with such disdain. Taking that quality from
the hammer is tantamount to wrecking the hammer in these folks minds.
Just like stabbing deep down the throat through the crown will kill the
hammer.  I tend to agree really.

Cheers
RicB
      Hey Ric, David, Andre ,Horace & all
  Finally a piano post that needs more discussion.
  Ric I will once again say that this term (tension) above that's underlined
is misleading. The Ronsen hammers are incredibly tensioned & will still be
with some lacquer added. The felt is stretched around the molding unlike any
thing I've ever seen. It is a real spring. If you have the opportunity take one
and slice it open from the bottom or top & it just blooms open like a flower
immediately.
     Other less stiff hammers like Isaacs & Steinway do this less. So to be
clear I'm taking issue with the word tension in how your using it. The hammer
you are referring to is a great hammer but its very compacted & densified.  I
know when your needling it that it behaves as if there is some kind of
power/tension  that's waiting to be unleashed by the needle but I think your just
redistributing the springiness of very compacted felt to less compacted felt &
thus more springiness & not true tension. The quality of the Wurzen felt gives
you way more latitude with this style of hammer.
  The other factor I may be ignorant of (There are so many) is that Andre is
probably getting them to control the densification which would lead to more
true tension & springiness. The problem with making hammers  is that in order to
get the bass hammers to be stiff enough for an adequate tone right out of the
box is that the whole felt sheet in the press  needs to be packed adequately
to harden the bass but the top end then often becomes too compacted. Making
hammers is a true & difficult art form. Any one making good hammers should be
saluted & supported for there efforts.
   Regards,
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations