How to Measure Strike Balance Weight?

Fri, 07 May 2004 23:18:24 +0200

Its kind of a trick... you cant really get dead on sure about it you
see.  But you get close enough.  You put on weight so that the key
easily finds its way to the middle of the stroke when coaxed... and you
very lightly throw the back of the key both upwards and downwards so
that it bounces back evenly both ways.

You can do the same thing with just the key itself for practice... to
sort of get the feel.  Measure your front weight for a key and  put
double that weight on the capstan with the key sitting in the action.
Then try feeling how the key responds when you lightly throw the back of
the key up and then down.  You <<throw>> only hard enough to get the key
to very lightly bounce back.  Put heavyer and lighter weights on the
capstan so the key wont be in balance and then compare.

The <<balanced>> key will behave nearly identical for each direction
where as the unbalanced key will tend to settle either at the top or the
bottom of the key stroke.

Hope this helps

RicB