explanation of battery voicing/needling

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 9 May 2004 11:52:30 +0200

On 9-mei-04, at 3:39, John Formsma wrote:

> Saw the term in several posts, think I have a general idea what it is,
> but must have missed how that term originated.
>
> Anyone care to elucidate?
>
> John Formsma

By battery voicing we mean going into the base of the hammer to get out
more power.
In some factories (Bechstein and Bösendorfer) the hammers will be
pre-voiced in the lowest part, just above the staple.
Usually 10 stitches will be given there and usually only by beginners.
This is called pre-voicing, followed by the first real voicing, which
is a continuation of up-needling.
In other factories (for instance Steinway and Yamaha), the first
voicing starts by making a cushion, working upwards from 3 or 9 o'clock
to a 'certain' area under the crown.
With the regular Yamaha series, there is no other option because of the
stiffness in the lower halve, caused by the impregnation. We just do
not use this area, it is useless.
With Steinway (Hamburg) however, the method differs from time to time.
During my training there they basically used the upper halve only and
later, maybe, retraced on their steps if the power supply was not
enough.
The latter method also has to do with the inconsistency of the hammer
makers : one set of hammers will give the desired result, the other set
needs more attention.
The best and safest way in any case is to make your cushion (first
voicing) working upwards from 3 or 9 o'clock in order to safe the
remaining power/energy in the battery, the lower halve.This method will
give you the opportunity to make mistakes and restore them later.
It is also a very safe method to get to know the hammer by making an
initial voicing pass, and then see what the result is.
The Yamaha hammers also have a battery, but it is very limited. It
starts right there where the grey impregnation ends, and the battery
zone is only 5-10 mm wide, before you get into the cushion/shoulder
area.
The battery is a magic place we can use for more power, but also for
opening up the sound. Some soundboards ask for heavy battery voicing
because they are high overtone soundboards.
Bechstein soundboards are like that, and that is why Bechsteins are
greatest in their mid range and treble. To give a Bechstein a more
fundamental tone, up-needling or battery voicing is required from the
start.
Of course I am talking about non laquered high quality hammers and it
is a general statement, because all hammers and all piano's need a
unique treatment.
Yamaha is probably the only factory where they teach you at the Academy
to 'plot' your voicing course by making either mental notes or making
chalk marks on the keys, and then do a complete first voicing without
listening 'on the way', followed by a more refined voicing to even it
out.
Of course this is not the case with the hand made instruments made
there. A complete voicing takes two days, which is normal for these
kind of instruments.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek