explanation of battery voicing/needling

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 9 May 2004 08:12:15 -0500

>>Of course this is not the case with the hand made instruments made
there. A complete voicing takes two days, which is normal for these
kind of instruments.

In a good day of tuning I can make $300 to $400, sometimes more, doing work
I love, being in several places, talking to several different customers, and
making everyone happy. Who is going to spend $800 for me to voice their
piano when I won't be able to guarantee they'll be happy with the results?
While the idea of becoming a master voicing technician has certain appeal to
me, I do have to feed my family. ;-)   Maybe there is a clientele out there
who will pay that, but not in my market. I have a hard time getting people
to spend $400 for a regulation job.

People like the sound they get used to. So if I go changing the voice on
their piano to something I like and that I know sounds better, they may not
like it. I am reminded of one family I sold a Steinway M to. The piano
sounded pretty nice, but they didn't like it at first because they were used
to playing a Wurlitzer console. The Steinway was too alive for them.

I wonder if that is why some people insist on NY hammers on their NY
Steinway with lacquer for voicing: it is what they are used to, and what
they think a NY S&S should sound like. Not because it is "better" by other
objective standards.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272