?? Voice ??

Sun, 09 May 2004 15:49:52 +0200

Barbara Richmond wrote:

>>Yes... but by definition (at least my working definition) a good hammer
>>is predictable enough that you can manipulate predictably... and without
>>resorting to strange and weird concoctions or tools.  Thats that
>><<ideal>> world it would seem so many seem to have difficulty relating
>>to.
>>

>Umm, I don't have any problem relating or dreaming about the ideal
>world, I mean, it *would* be nice.  Right now, I could go for a world of C7s
>of the same vintage of the one I worked on recently.  But......I live in the
>real world.  And like wow, man, Peoria is *very* real.  :-)

Grin... I live in the real world too.  Tho I do understand your point
about Peoria.  But as I said... for pianos that deserve the <<ideal>>
then we give it to them.... or we dont.  Why we choose  what we choose
is another discussion entirely... I was focusing in on only a little bit
of that... which had mostly to do with technicians awareness of when to
use what.

>>>Actually, I don't think it's really so hard to learn to voice.  Yes, it
>>>would be better to have a wonderful tutor, but hey, I learned (and am
>>>still
>>>learning), so other people can, too.   I see two problems:
>>>

>>I have to disagree entirely here, and I think the fact that we see
>>soooooo veryyyyyy many totally unvoiced / misvoiced instruments
>>testifies in that direction.
>>

>Gee, I didn't realize you had followed me on any jobs!  :-)

I think the point I was trying to make was... that its very easy for one
who has a firm grasp of a process to think in retrospect... "how easy
this really was"... and in that sense, in your particular experience or
perspective this could be true... but that doesnt have any impact on how
others struggle with learning something.  For some the learning can be
difficult to the degree of near impossiblity.... only to suddenly fall
into place when one day all the lights go on at once.

Weve all tried at one point or another to start off a new piano tuner
prospect.... and teach them the most basic of things we listen for....
beats.  Now you tell me.... how easy is it to hear beats ?  For some...
easy from the get go... for others.. easy only after lots and lots of
frustration and confusion trying to figure out just what the heck you
are supposed to listen for... for others.... easy enough from the get
go... but difficult to refine... and the variations go on and on.

>Seriously, yes, I know what you mean.  It's fairly easy to look good
>following folks who have only tuned--oh no! maybe that's the only time my
>work looks good!  :-0    I believe---no, I *know* there are a lot of
>tuners who "tune and run," seeing tuning as the easy money.  It *could be*
>that a lot of voicing gets neglected because of a time/business philosophy
>thing and not necessarily the lack of the ability to learn.
>

>>Its easy in a sense if you have a very
>>good musical ear... but only if you get past all that confusion and fog
>>of ofte times conflicting advices... and then only if one, as you point
>>out below, takes the time to develop  the skill.
>>
>>Much of what you say here below I find very agreeable.  Especially the
>>bit about developing that <<concept of tone>>.  But evidently I believe
>>that that is quite a bit more elusive than you do.
>>

>Well, maybe it is elusive.  Doesn't seem like it should be, though.  If a
>person can use their ears to tune a piano, it seems like those same ears
>should be able to learn what to listen for as far as tone quality goes.  Aw,
>just call me an optimist.

That you are... and one of the most enjoyables of folks to <<converse>>
with I know !

>As for the Lacquer Fight! thread (I LOVE that subject heading, it makes me
>laugh every time I see it pop up), do you know what I'd like?  Not that I
>doubt for a second that the hammers with the Wurzen felt are wonderful, but
>I'd like to know of a recording I could go out and buy, so I could hear
>these hammers.  Is there anything out there yet?  When there is, let me
>know.  Yes, I know it's better to hear a piano, live and in person, but CDs
>cost a lot less than plane tickets. :-)

hehe ..... well I didnt name it Lacquer fight... tho it sometimes feels
like i've just taken an eye full.  Dont know of any recording available
yet... but if we do any recordings on our C I will post a link.  Perhaps
Andre can be of more help here ?

>Happy voicing,
>
>Barbara Richmond

Cheers