Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 9 May 2004 16:54:02 +0200

Dale , Richard,

I agree with your definition  of tension , and I understand your enthusiasm
with the slicing of high tension hammers. But still a good hammer may have
enough density to allow for further voicing and maintenance, and I second
Richard for saying that battery needling is not as efficient in the case of
a little compression hammer.

I guess it was not very clear, but when I say we can have a hammer with a
lot of tension, I though more of the Ronsen kind than the Renner one (till
the use of their new presses, the hammers where varying  in density from one
set to another and within the set, so the softer ones have little tension
before voicing).

Then, we rarely have sliced perfectly voiced pianos hammers , but just by
pinching with our fingers we know that there is enough  tension present or
not.

When I was less instructed in voicing (did not knew about the cushion role
for instance) I was focusing a lot on tension, as a necessity. What we learn
to do with the needles is to get that tension up to some point while
providing the internal suspension for the hammer stroke.

I guess that if the tension is too high it can create an instability , seem
to me that felt hold better compression than stretching  in time (but the 2
up to certain limit certainly)

Good voicing bring ARTICULATION in tone, that is the opposite of
straightness or linear . That is what allows the pianist to have musical
layers, then the power within the tone may be sort of underneath in piano
play modes, and get to the front at higher levels.

The number of tone layers may be the highest possible for me to like a tone.
Unfortunately, we are very often limited by the soundboard, the action type,
the keyboard, and also the hammers too much or not enough voiced very often.

When building the cushion, one take care of not over needling, meaning we
have to needle strong and deep as if the middle of the hammer is not needled
to compensate for the mellowing of the outer core, indeed the outer tension
dissipate and the tone get really dead. Then, once the compressed felt have
released the tension within it, no interest to needle further.

The high spectra density is due mostly to the felt quality, and the shape of
course, it is easy to use a few drops of something to add very high partials
(or a whoosh tone), but then they are present in any level of tone, so I
don't find this process very advantageous it is not employed by the pianist
to sing.

And our wonderful Wurzen Filz is absolutely guaranteed without genetically
modified wool inside, in fact the only secret is that the sheep's usually
are driven to eat grass near Chernobyl and that gives that very springy wool
quality (if I have well understood Andre's lecture on the subject).

Enough betises.

back to the puter

Isaac OLEG