Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 22:02:44 EDT

     Isaac
   My statement on tension. I hope its clearer
>>>Ok Tension on felt means stretch or pull right? Compression means
compaction or densification right?
  Now I want to make a statement that you can prove for yourself. The Ronsen
hammers is the most tensioned hammer in the world.
& No I'm not a salesman.
  If the felt on your preferred hammer is really stretched & tensioned, as
you keep referring to,then if you should be able to cut the hammer open from the
strike point to the molding with a razor& it should immediately &
dramitically bloom open. Especially in the Bass & tenor hammers.
   This is exactly what happens with the Ronsen hammers. All of the hammers
Ronsen makes will do this but the Wurzen felt most of all. I've been at this
for years now. I've cut open all kinds of hammers & I don't believe the
phenomena you refer to as tension is what your using to get tone it's the compaction
or compression. Most hammers will blomm open to some degree but it's not
usually dramtic. Isaac hammers will also do this to some degree.
  The point is that a stretched elastic felt around a hammer molding should
equal incresed springiness & it does.
  Also the hammer your using is a fine hammer & gets a fine tone but I do not
believe it is under much tension as I've expressed it,It's under compaction &
the inherent springiness of the felt is your ally invoicing & I know that we
agree on this.