Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 22:00:55 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/2004 7:38:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:
  I cleaned this up so it is more readable
>>> This is the conceptual point I seem to have trouble communicating. If a
softer hammer has to much resilience(too soft) then I need to decrease it so I
add a stiffening solution.  What I need is limited felt resilience. So do you.
   You also have limited resilience With the harder pressed hammers because
they are made with more heat & pressure which actually reduces
resilience(making it too hard) The more resilient hammer produce darker sounds initially & the
other(less resilient hammer) a brighter & sometimes choked sound. The harder
version usually has less initial springiness than the former.
    Extremes of heat & pressure also work against the way felt is made. The
springy wool is now made unspringy or less resilient.
   I see stiffness as stiffness. If I have the same stiffness or springiness
with a moderately lacquered hammers as I do with a moderately hard pressed
hammer. I will have a similar tone but not exact.
 I want to save that one for the next post. It's Friday after all  Regards.
  Dale