Weber with 4 string unisons

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 9 May 2004 21:12:23 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/04 12:23:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jcgrassi@earthlink.net writes:

> Dave.
> I took care of one of these for years.  There were only a few made.  At one
> time there was a fellow trying to find all of them in the country and it
> turned out the majority were here on the West Coast.  Paderewski used them when
> he was feuding with Steinway and often the program would even mention the use
> of the Weber.
>
> The one I took care of was also not in good shape.  It needed to be rebuild
> to realize it's beauty.  The quad unisons were a pain in the neck because
> there were many false beats.  Also, there was a whole section of wire that kept
> breaking; obviously metal fatigue.....As I said, it needed to be rebuilt.
>
> It had rocker capstans, which in themselves are not necessarily a problem,
> but the key sticks were in bad shape.  Most of the screws for the capstans had
> seized up and made adjustments very difficult....As I said, it needed to be
> rebuilt.
>
> The sound was massive, in spite of all the problems.  I'd love to see one in
> good shape.
>
> Hope this helps,
> jeannie
>
> Jeannie Grassi, RPT
> Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
> <A HREF="mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net">mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net</A>

Thanks, Jeannie.  It seems that there are one or two at large, waiting to be
unearthed.

Sometimes I wish pianos could talk...we'd hear some great stories(man, I hate
that Paderewski guy, he smokes nasty cigars...:-)

It's really a shame that the original Weber co. went away.  They made some
interesting, beautiful instruments.

Dave S.