Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Sun, 09 May 2004 21:59:54 -0400

This is very interesting and confirms a recent experience.
A few days ago I had a brief chance to work on a 4 year old Steinway S
(NY).
The hammers were very soft everywhere (from bass to high treble), and
even with some test stabs, it felt like no lacquer was ever applied to
these hammers. But the piano had plenty of brilliance and no need to add
any more.
The piano had a few zingers, and with just a few stabs directly at the
string striking points, the zings disappeared, but the brilliance
remained. I have never seen hammers respond so quickly and precisely.

The piano was in a retail store, and was already sold. I had less than 2
hours before the movers were coming, and that included time for tuning.
This S sounded more like and L (except in the deep bass). I wish I had
more time to work on it. There was not even time to file the hammers.

This experience raises the following question. With new Steinway (NY)
hammers, you cannot needle up to achieve brilliance since there is no
"battery". The traditional Steinway method is to add lacquer (3:1
strength). But perhaps it is best to just play the piano for a year and
see what happens. If this S is any indication, wow, what a gorgeous tone
and enormous pallete. Does anyone have experience with new S&S (NY)
hammers without lacquer? Would the cotton ball sound for the 1st year be
too painful?

Jerry Cohen