Out of tune(probably an argument, here)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 17:09:05 EDT

In a message dated 10/05/04 4:44:07 PM, vinsam@sympatico.ca writes:

<< Hi Ed, I can understand where you are coming from, and it is good to be

able to be as tollerant as you are of out-of-tuness.  >>

Vinny;
 Let me jump in here with a comment. For all pratical purposes a slightly
un-unisoned unison :) is not quite the same thing as being "out-of-tune" your
sensibilities notwithstanding.
 For the most part when I am talking about warping a string of a unison it
would be unnoticable unless one were specifically looking for it...say one beat,
or almost one beat, per 2 or 3 seconds.......hardly enough to be "out of
tune" but not really "tuned" dead on either.

 What this allows is a constant 'bloom' of the note when played in a 'normal'
fashion and held for a 'normal' musical beat.

 I don't think what Ed is talking about is your average barroom piano shaped
thingee which gets attention to its tuning every three or four years or when
the proper amount of keys stop working. :-)

 This technique is not for all pianos or all situations but when it is
needful it is a tremendous tool to have in your wet ware.
Jim Bryant (FL)