Yamaha C6 bass strings

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 13 May 2004 01:49:51 +0200

Hello Andre
Interesting info on Yamaha bass - a friend just changed them after 2
years on a C6 with HellerBass and it was for the better.

I'm learning new things any day - thanks the list !

So we have 4 methods of winding :

With the central wire roughened with 2 files
Without roughening
WIth the use of a resin /glue
on hexagonal wire

The resin is certainly not a quality factor is not it ?

I've heard that the Yamaha S series bass strings where hand made,
while the other bass where made with a special machine.

Bechstein bass strings are said to be winded without roughening, they
have that cymbalum quality of the HellerBass strings.

I never find the hexagonal strings to have a very nice tone.

About turning the strings, String makers said me that the strings have
to be placed in the piano the same that when they where made, that
mean if we have to turn them it is only to get the reaction turns that
occur eventually when the strings is out of the bench.

Best regards to all late at nighters .

Isaac OLEG