Business Doldrums ...and finding help

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 09:39:54 EDT

Greetings,

              This is my 11th month in business. The first 3 of those months
were with no phone book ad, because I went in business in June and my listing
in the new phone book didn't come out till August . As a rookie I cannot
expect business to be great, but it is holding steady at about 3 tunings a week. In
fact, the next 2 weeks I have about 4-5 appointments at local schools because
of Spring concerts, so i am actually doing alittle better for the next few
weeks or so!

               I had to make a living in those 3 months when I had no phone
book ad. I called local music stores, sent a stack of my cards, called
teachers, schools and churches, sent a card and a smal resume at their request and
those calls kept me going till the new ph book was issued. Those calls paid off.
In fact, I am still getting references from them. At first when you call its
"no", "no", "no" here there and everywhere, but as time marches on it changes,
especially on a second "round" of calls about 6 months later.

BIG TIP: Conduct phone solicitations on Wednesdays as a first choice,
Thursdays as a second choice. Folks are most accepting and responsive on these two
days of the week...ie the weekend is approaching, pay day is coming...and other
pleasant weekend thoughts. I received this tip from a friend of mine who is
his own booking agent to get guitar gigs. He was correct, I have found it to be
true. On more than one occasion, a lady or two who answered the phone at the
church actually needed a tuner for her own piano at home! Keep phone calls
short and, to the piont. and if no one is in the church office on that day or I
only reach the voice mail of a high school music director or something, I leave
a really short sweet message that says:
"Julie Gottchall, piano tuner, I am looking for work. 610-373....." .
Believe me, it this pays.
Now the only thing I fear is after July 4th. Last year the 4th hit an it went
absolutely dead till end of August. I dont't know if it was because it was my
first few months in business or if it will always be that dead in
July-August. It seems people went on vacation and wham, no calls.

Best Wishes,

rookie
Julie Gottchall,
Reading, PA