Cracked Plate in Steinway B

Thu, 13 May 2004 11:57:27 -0400

Dear List -
I have a beautiful Rosewood B which sounds great, but has the classic crack
in the plate, emanating from one of the plate / Pinblock screws, right at
the treble side of the tenor brreak, ie. just before the bass.  The
probable cause was the poor fitting of the replaced block.  A gap of at
least 1/32" is detectable between the block and flange, running for about 8
or 9 inches.
The question: If the customer determines he wishes to take the risk in
pulling the pitch (eventually) to 440, and is aware that he might,
ultimately need to replace the plate. Is it advisable to, first, drop pitch
and shim the gap?  I'm having trouble visualizing how the crack alters the
stress patterns on the plate in that area.

Many thanks.

David Skolnik