Renner repetition springs

Thu, 13 May 2004 21:15:42 -0700

The issue of how tight the balancier pinning should be has come up in the past but not, to my recollection, been quantified.  The resistance should be greater than the hammer flange and it should not exhibit totally free movement.  An argument can be made that with tighter pinning in the balancier you can increase the tension in the repetition spring and you will get smoother and more predictable return without the hammer jumping.  Some years ago I seem  to recall Rick Baldassin saying that he routinely repinned the balancier on a new wippen with a pin one size larger in order to improve repetition.  Does anyone out there actually measure the resistance on the balancier and repin for a specific target?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: D.L. Bullock
To: PTG;Topperpiano@aol.com
Sent: 5/13/2004 8:35:32 PM
Subject: RE: Renner repetition springs

I finally quit miking all the springs as I did for several years.  They are always well numbered and in order in Renner wip sets.

I can't see how pins could be too loose short of wobbling which would not happen in Renner.  It would be a good thing to have them pre broken-in.  But having springs loose on several they were not what I would consider loose....or tight.  Years ago, I did have a couple sets of shanks from Renner that wobbled and needed larger center pins but a mention to Lloyd took care of the problem.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com