Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 14 May 2004 01:07:49 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/2004 9:08:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca writes:
and Dale:
>May I submit that the  Inner friction of felt  has always been a
>fairly esoteric & small consideration to the discussion of hammers
>even though it is a know factor & frankly to me personally not very
>useful.

I disagree. I think this phenomenon is actually the contributing
factor which will turn out to be MOST critical and absolutely
essential to felt hammers being able to produce the sound we have
come to expect from the piano. Without it the sound would probably be
considered wrong and un-piano-like. I have some ideas why, and how,
but won't speculate yet on what we may find as we will soon be
extending the felt research project to consider hammer design and
hammer-string interaction.

Stephen
 Hi Stephen.
   I'm more than curious about what  you're doing in the way of experiments
in this regard. Hope there is more insight at some point.
   My above statement should be taken as stated with thefollowing
clarification that until now, the discussion of internal friction has been known but not
very useful so far in any discussion I've participated in. I would hope that
some clarity on the subject would give some practical insights on how it
relates to tonal production & hammer design or what impact this may have on hammer
design changes if any.
   Many have brought up the fact in various discussions but with no
correlation as to how we should think about it or how it affects voicing or anything
else for that matter. Know what I mean now?
    I suspect internal friction & the springiness or stiffness of the felt we
all talk about are closely related I just don't know how to think about it.
Yet.
  My best guess is that tension & compression alters or enhances the internal
friction of wool felt.
   Regards,
   Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos Restorations