Renner Wippens Straight Heel versus Angled Heel on Steinways

Thu, 13 May 2004 22:10:59 -0700

I'm curious what any of you have found/prefer/come to any conclusions about
when it comes to choosing between the two different Renner wippens on older
Steinways.  Since I amd often changing the capstan, most of the time
relocating it anyway, the existing angle of the capstan isn't an issue.
I'm more wondering about general performance characteristics associated
with the difference between the regulated height of the capstan on each
(the straight heel usually ends up with a lower capstan profile) and
whether the straight heel offers any advantage due to it's relationship to
the arc scribed by the capstan in comparison with the angled heel.  While I
have stretched strings to look at magic lines and such, the results of
these methods are inconclusive to me in terms of differences.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net