Crown in Bass Area & Downbearing

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 23:31:32 -0700

Oh, just by moving the bridge forward a bit, decreasing or removing the
cantilever and/or floating the bass region of the soundboard assembly.

That region of the soundboard is so stiff in a smaller piano that it is best to
not add to that stiffness by loading the bridge with string bearing. If some of
that stiffness can be relieved you can begin to treat it in a more accepted
fashion. You can do this by increasing the length of the bass section backscale,
by moving the bridge away from the inner rim and/or by cutting part of the
soundboard free of the inner rim.

Del