Kawai GS-70

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 14 May 2004 10:33:29 -0700

on 5/14/04 6:19 AM, Dean May at deanmay@pianorebuilders.com wrote:

>>They tended to be hot and cold pianos - one would be great, with lots of
sustain and tone, the >>next would sound dead and have no projection.

=20

Don,=20

=20

Are there any remedial steps that I could take for my client=B9s =B3cold=B2 GS-70=
?
The church loves it, BTW, but other pianists in that small town hate it.

=20

Thanks=20

Dean=20

Hey, Dean----

Try these things:

1) tighten all plate bolts

2) lift, level, and seat the strings

3) raise the pitch and FINE tune

4) bed the keyframe, then add an extra 1/4 turn to each glide bolt.

5) make the hammers softer and springier (if possible, replace  the hammers
   w/ new Renners or Abels, the best quality.)

6)precisely and completely regulate the action; time the dampers

On most Asian pianos, doing the above will make a striking, radical
improvement  in the depth, projection, and sustain of a piano.  You'll be a
hero.

David Andersen