Finishing ivories

Mon, 17 May 2004 07:04:19 -0700

Sanding old ivory is tricky and depends how much material you have to start
with.  It is best to sand by laying a sheet of paper to a very flat surface
such as a thick piece of glass, and then laying the key on the paper and
sanding by moving the key back and forth.  However, if the ivory is not
thick enough you can create problems.  Also, if the old ivory is cupped
from wear you will probably have to take off too much material this way.
Us a hard sanding block over the joint then to smooth this area.  To make
the joint less visible you need to be sure the upper surface contacts
before the lower surface which means the contacting edges of the head and
tail are beveled back by 1 degree.  Keep the glue away from the joing by 1
mm.  If the glue squeezes into the joint you will be more able to see the
line.  A clamping device that pushes the head back against the tail, after
the tail is laid down and clamped, will help.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net