Finishing ivories

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 09:53:40 EDT

Stephen,

Are you using the linen under the ivories?  I read your email and didn't see
that you included that in your steps.  This evens out the surface and makes
them look whiter.  Also I have found in the past that you really have to keep
the ivories in order.  They are probably old and were hand finished in the first
place.  Keeping them in order keeps you from having the difficulty of
matching the thickness of the head and tail.  Also I would recommend not using such a
heavy grit to begin with.  Unless a lot of material is to be removed (and
keeping them in order will minimize that), scraping with a very sharp blade will
remove material without leaving scratches. I have used just a single edge
razor blade. Make sure you don't use it too long so it gets dull. Just keep
changing often. Then just use a very fine 400- 600 paper to smooth out.  Also I have
used a toothpaste product here called Pearl White to softly buff although a
white buffing compound on the buffing wheel is what is used in the shop. TP