Lacquer fight!/ Internal friction

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 17 May 2004 21:59:52 +0200

hey,

what do you do with ARTISTS that DO think SOME older pianos are simply
BETTER instruments for their play to come out ?  Want me to name some ?
Now, pianists is a strange piece of cake.  If their teacher tells them
S$S is good for them, they do believe it, even if they NEVER tried some
alternative.  Same if some 19th century music teacher tells that Erard
is THE piano, all his pupils will buy exclusively Erard pianos.
But still, if so many pianists chose for a less than 5 years old
Steinway piano, in my opinion, it is for some commercial issue (They
would simply have to pay more for another instrument).
Do you remember the case of Glenn Gould, playing for much more than 5
years the same Steinway instrument ?  And Frans Mohr telling : "it is
now time to do a total overhaul", and after the overhaul happened, Gould
said : "This is not my piano anymore : you spoiled it !" And he switched
to Yamaha.
I have that (small) experience that years (more than 5) are good for a
piano.
Don't you think ?

Stéphane Collin.