Alfred Dolge would smile upon us

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 18 May 2004 22:39:16 +0200

Hello Phillip,

I was in the Wurzen factory and I have seen (roughly speaking) how the=20=

felt is made.
It starts with a heap of selected wools mixed together.
This wool goes into a 'carding machine' where layers of hair are=20
produced.
These layers of hair are actually the layers in the felted hammers we=20
later buy.
The layers of hair are put on top of each other until they form a=20
certain thickness and pieces of these layered wools are put into a=20
fulling machine where they undergo the process of fulling.
This process of fulling is where the fibers of the wool hairs are being=20=

"interlocked". They thus form the real first mass of felt as this=20
process is combined with heat and water and shaking.
The secret of the Wurzen factory is that they control this fulling=20
process to the max and that is why we now have such a high quality felt=20=

(again).
If you look at the latest Wurzen AAA quality felt you will notice a=20
higher density of the fibers. Yes, you can actually see it.
But most of all, you can actually hear it.
The tone is one if totally natural elasticity without any use of=20
chemicals (as Dale Erwin too described the other day).
The art of getting out the desired colors is the art of voicing. The=20
Wurzen felt offers, so far, the most interesting palette of colors and,=20=

as we all know, this felt is for sale in America at Ronsen hammers (Ray=20=

Negron).
We are now faced with two problems :
we want the hammer maker to make a perfect hammer with this new felt=20
(not an easy task).
We need to learn again to work with this wonderful felt. As Dale said=20
it : we should actually only dope these hammers to accentuate some=20
percussiveness, not to "totally fill the tub and throw the babies in".
This is an interesting period where we are again offered felt made with=20=

great craftsmanship and artistry.
Alfred Dolge would smile upon us but he is probably busy with other=20
things

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

friendly greetings
from