Alfred Dolge - Carbonizing and bleach process

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 18 May 2004 23:37:19 +0200

Hello,

So many good questions and comments on this threads I don't see what I can
add.

I have made some research to understand why some felt was sold to us to be
"carbonized" while other does not advertise on that.
In fact in the old times, since 1860 or so, there was only machines to clean
the wool from the thistle and vegetal residues (it was even hand cleaned, by
prisoners, was said, before 1860 and the apparition of "the leviathan" a
machine developed by Mr. De Laoureux de Serviers, who lived in SERVIERS, in
Belgium, and this town was the "only"  European place for wool washing and
preparation before making cloth or felt with it (till other places appear
near Hamburg in the 1910 ) The wool yet came from south America, England and
other countries as well.

Then around 1880 a chemical process including the use of acid (liquid or
vapor) was used to 'carbonize' the vegetal in the wool. The process gives a
brown color to the wool and then it have to be bleached (with bleach) to get
white again (while may be it can be leaved without bleaching, as find in
some traditional felt cloths.

With a goggle research I have find the declarative papers from the French
"water agency", that our actual wool washers (in washing columns) are using,
as the process is using a lot of water, that is contamined then with dye and
other products and may be recycled or treated.

I asked at the Wurzen factory and had a talk with someone who was kind
enough to tell me that those days all the wool is carbonized to get rid of
vegetal, that is the usual process.

Then some wools are a little yellow, and other are bleached to death (like
the Laoureux hammer felt which is very white). I don't know but I suspect
the lanolin staying within the fiber differ depending of the strength of
these processes.

My question was because I noticed that the white Laoureux felt is making a
scratch noise under the needle even if the elasticity is poor, so I wandered
if the bleaching process had something to do with that.

I've read also a comment from Topper Piano that German hammers are sometime
impregnated with some lacquer, this has not been my experience, but maybe
the heat used (and more if some vapor have been used, which turn the hammer
in stone) while pressing leave us with a felt that give that impression
(particularly with VFG felt it can be noticed).

I was also said that any color or additive added to the felt was
counterproductive in terms of resiliency/elasticity.

Another question : the Piano felts are not treated against moths (generally)
and can be attacked , particularly the softer ones, so we should have some
Cedar or anti moth paper in the boxes where we keep our parts.

If you have find brownish pieces in the old felts that certainly mean they
where not carbonized, or not bleached.

I'll ask that question also to the Wurzen people, about the action of
lanolin in keeping the fiber springiness, but I guess too much lanolin goes
against the felting density (fulling).

I am happy to see that the effort from that felt maker to give us a very
good product are appreciated, and I have them know about it.

We need enthusiasts here, before its too late !

Friendly wishes to all

Isaac OLEG