Major Grotrian problem

Wed, 19 May 2004 13:57:13 +0200

A quick check to see whether you've mismatched hammer weight in the bass
is to simply add a bit onto shank out next to the hammer. Add say 2
grams out there in some temporary fashion.  If your hammer and key do
more or less what they are supposed to do then you have a problem with
hammer weighting.  If this turns out to be the case, then you really
need to get some help. While action balancing is not all that difficult
conceptually, you should already know how to do this before getting into
a hammer replacement job... not criticism meant here... many of us have
been in this boat at some time... but get somebody who can help you.

Do you know how to measure hammer weight ? You are more or less stuck
with radius weight now that the hammers are glued to the shanks... which
is a good way to take hammer weight anyways... Check out David Stanwoods
website for some good action balancing basics.

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/seesaw.pdf

Cheers
RicB