Major Grotrian problem

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 May 2004 08:47:55 -0700

Ajay said: "also I changed the key leads which were made by me
> here in my workshop now I am finding a major problem
> when I fitted the new hammers to the action & play the
> notes bass particularly the key stays depressed &
> hammer in mid air when I lift the key with my hand the
> hammer falls checked the bushings loose enough none of
> the keys are touching each other I think the leads
> have become to heavy how do I rectify this have heard
> of up-weight & down-weight how do I calculate that can
> any one explain the procedure to me & how much should
> there be on this piano."

I think the key, (pun intended), is that he made his own key leads. If he
used, basically, pure lead, (which I suspect), then it would quite possibly
be much heavier than the original "leads", which probably had a lot of Zinc
incorporated in it's composition. An example: I have two sets of key
leveling, clip on, leads. One was made by Tuners Supply and had a lot of
Zinc , (like wheel weight stuff). The other set I got from APSCO and it
appears to be much heavier! I grammed each and found that the Tuners leads
are 72 grams. Whereas, the APSCO leads are 90 grams! I use the lighter ones
on the sharps and the heavier ones on the whites. These thingees are
essentially the same physical dimensions. So,....it really matters what the
lead composition is. Our, (piano techs), basic nature is to pay attention to
DETAIL, so this is another DETAIL to put in our coffers.<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I