Major Grotrian problem

Wed, 19 May 2004 18:32:31 +0200

Ajay Mistry wrote:

> --- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
>wrote: > A quick check to see whether you've
>mismatched
>

>>hammer weight in the bass
>>is to simply add a bit onto shank out next to the
>>hammer. Add say 2
>>grams out there in some temporary fashion.  If your
>>hammer and key do
>>more or less what they are supposed to do then you
>>have a problem with
>>hammer weighting.  If this turns out to be the case,
>>then you really
>>need to get some help. While action balancing is not
>>all that difficult
>>conceptually, you should already know how to do this
>>before getting into
>>a hammer replacement job... not criticism meant
>>here... many of us have
>>been in this boat at some time... but get somebody
>>who can help you.
>>

>I did send sample hammers ie first & last hammer of
>each section to Grotrian piano company in Germany so
>that they could be duplicated to the original

Er... yes.. but you changed leads... so whether or not the hammers are
origional weights or not.. (and I wouldnt take that for granted.... nope
not for a second) the weight in the keys is very likely changed.  Its a
balance you know...  sort of like a teeter totter... and it  sounds like
you have too much lead for whatever hammer weight you have.

Cheers
RicB