Plugging capstan holes

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 19:47:43 -0400

>From  http://www.westsystem.com/ : This site really has tons and tons of =
excellent info on epoxy use.

Terry Farrell

Adhesive Fillers vs. Fairing Fillers

Fillers are used to thicken the basic resin/hardener mixture for =
specific applications. Each filler possesses a unique set of physical =
characteristics, but they can be generally categorized as either =
Adhesive (high-density) or Fairing (low-density).
Adhesive filler mixtures cure to a strong, hard-to-sand plastic useful =
in structural applications like bonding, filleting and hardware bonding.

Fairing filler mixtures cure to light, easily sandable material that is =
generally used for cosmetic or surface applications like shaping, =
filling or fairing.

ADHESIVE FILLERS

403 Microfibers
403 Microfibers, a fine fiber blend, is used as a thickening additive =
with resin/hardener to create a multi-purpose adhesive, especially for =
bonding wood. Epoxy thickened with microfibers has good gap-filling =
qualities while retaining excellent wetting/penetrating capability. =
Color: off-white.

404 High-Density Filler
404 High-Density filler is a thickening additive developed for maximum =
physical properties in hardware bonding where high-cyclic loads are =
anticipated. It can also be used for filleting and gap filling where =
maximum strength is necessary. Color: off-white.

405 Filleting Blend
This strong, wood-toned filler is good for use in glue joints and =
fillets on naturally finished wood. It mixes easily with epoxy and lets =
you create fillets that are smooth and require little sanding. Its color =
is a consistent brown, so 405 can be used to modify the shade of other =
WEST SYSTEM fillers.

406 Colloidal Silica
406 Colloidal Silica is a thickening additive used to control the =
viscosity of the epoxy and prevent epoxy runoff in vertical and overhead =
joints. 406 is a very strong filler that creates a smooth mixture, ideal =
for general bonding and filleting. It is also our most versatile filler. =
Often used in combination with other fillers, it can be used to improve =
the improve strength, abrasion resistance, and consistency of fairing =
compounds, resulting in a tougher, smoother surface. Color: off-white.=20

FAIRING FILLERS

407 Low-Density Filler
407 Low-Density filler is a blended microballoon-based filler used to =
make fairing putties that are easy to sand or carve. Reasonably strong =
on a strength-to-weight basis. Cures to a dark red/brown color.

410 MicrolightTM
410 MicrolightTM is the ideal low-density filler for creating a light, =
easily-worked fairing compound especially suited for fairing large =
areas. Microlight mixes with greater ease than 407 Low-Density filler or =
microballoons and is approximately 30% easier to sand. It feathers to a =
fine edge and is also more economical for large fairing jobs. Not =
recommended under dark paint or other surfaces subject to high =
temperatures. Cures to a tan color.

----- Original Message -----=20