Betsy Ross Spinet

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 08:57:09 -0400

Yeah, and we've all heard the story about the minority-race person the grew
up in poverty with no parents, suffered from abuse, and went on to be
happily married, get a Ph.D. and become President of some university, etc.,
etc.

I would submit that more piano students have been stymied by playing on a
poor instrument than have flourished after playing an Aeolian spinet for the
first few years of study.

This reminds me of the Frans Moore tale about a lady who exchanged her new
Steinway for another because her piano tech told her there was a
defect/abnormality in the plate. After not being happy with a couple
replacements she wanted her original piano back, only to find out that a
professional concert pianist had picked hers out from the crowd because of
its unusually wonderful character. Sure, no doubt if a piano gets messed up
during the manufacturing process, it could actually turn out better than
designed - but again, for every manufacturing error effecting a benefit,
there will be hundreds of defective pianos out there.

I really don't have that  much of a hang-up about cheap spinets. I likely
have more trouble with piano owners who don't have a clue if there is any
difference between a worn, neglected Aeolian spinet and a good condition
Yamaha upright. There are many such people. And yes, I do try to educate -
with some success and some failure. I don't want to burn every spinet. I
also make money off them.

However, I think an important thing to consider is that for most of these
pianos, a full regulation, replacing damper felt, key bushings, hammer
filing, pitch raising, tuning, and a few other odds-and-ends, would cost far
more than the piano might be worth. This is especially true when one
realizes that there are many very good condition consoles available for
between $500 and $1,000.

When I service a rat-chewed, warped, felt-hardened, 1971 Aeolian spinet with
the back splitting off, that hasn't been tuned since the free tuning from
the dealer when it was purchased, and find that a youngster has been taking
lessons for three years and playing on this thing........

Oh geeeezzzzzz. Now ya got me going........ Well, all for now. Gotta go tune
Winter, Wurlitzer, and Janssen spinets today!  Cha-ching!   ;-)

(Actually several Yamaha grands today - but I do have multi-spinet and
old-upright days every now and then...)

Terry Farrell