Betsy Ross Spinet

Thu, 20 May 2004 07:07:00 -0500

Clyde,

At 07:23 5/20/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Conrad,
>
>Good in whose eyes?

The customer is always right, my friend, right???

>It took me a few years to figure out how to respond when a customer, who
>owns a worn-out PSO (piano shaped object), proudly says to me, "Well, what
>do you think of my piano?"  Since I try never to lie, this takes a little
>fancy talk which can go in several directions.  Since they are obviously
>in love with the "thing,"  a typical response from me would include, "The
>main thing is that it does what you need it to do."  They usually leave it
>at that.
>So I tend to agree with what you say here.  It is good in their eyes or
>for their purposes, even if objectively I would never call it a good piano
>on an evaluation.
>
>"Good" means different things to different people.  If I am asked if a
>piano is a good piano, I sometimes ask, "Do you mean good quality, good
>condition or whether it will be relatively trouble-free?"  Then I know
>better how to answer.

I agree.

A recent thing happened here to confirm my "no bad piano" philosophy. The
mother of a local piano teacher recently moved to town and brought her old
piano with her. Naturally, the daughter had me go over to attend to the
arrival.

What did I find which had started the piano teacher off on her musical
career??  A WINTER spinet.  There's been lots of bad-mouthing of Winter
spinets and their Ĉolian brethren on this list over the years. Well
deserved, too.  I find it hard to say that they have no redeeming value if
they are a springboard to a musical career, or even if they only offer the
opportunity to have live music in the home.

Consumer oriented/value priced/el cheapo pianos do have their value, but
that same "good" piano would be bad in a concert setting.  As the realtors
would say, location, location, location...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The shortest distance between two points is under construction.