Hamburg Steinway "D" bass (wound string) Buzz

Ron May, RPT ronmay_rpt@Bellsouth.net
Sun, 23 May 2004 14:04:25 -0400

Thank you for the help.

I also have been surprised that the buzz is isolated in the bass strings =
and that all of the bass strings are producing a buzz.  The first thing =
I thought of was something loose on the soundboard, loose ribs etc but =
after numerous checks have just about decided it is the bass strings =
windings. When I twist the string or replaced a string there was a =
definite improvement but a buzz that sounds like loose winding is =
pronounced. I am thinking of ordering a couple of fresh strings just to =
see if that solves the problem.  I am going to do some more checking =
around the rim but I have yet to find where any  fork lift has come =
through the rim or any repair has been made.

Ron
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 1:46 PM
  Subject: RE: Hamburg Steinway "D" bass (wound string) Buzz

  Can you describe the buzzing more.  I would be surprised if it were =
the strings.  Loose windings developing on all wound strings at the same =
time seems unlikely.  Have you checked the connection of the soundboard =
to the rim on the side that was impacted by the forklift?  Go underneath =
and push up around the edges with your thumbs and see if you hear any =
crackling or see any movement.  Use a thin feeler gauge to check for =
around the edges and the ribs as well.  Take a mirror and a flashlight =
and look around under the plate for some foreign object, check the bass =
bridge for delamination of the cap.  I'm sure there are other =
possibilities as well.

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

    ----- Original Message -----=20