Hamburg Steinway "D" bass (wound string) Buzz

Mon, 24 May 2004 00:53:52 +0200

Ron May, RPT wrote:

> Thank you for the help.
>
> I also have been surprised that the buzz is isolated in the bass
> strings and that all of the bass strings are producing a buzz.  The
> first thing I thought of was something loose on the soundboard, loose
> ribs etc but after numerous checks have just about decided it is the
> bass strings windings. When I twist the string or replaced a string
> there was a definite improvement but a buzz that sounds like loose
> winding is pronounced. I am thinking of ordering a couple of fresh
> strings just to see if that solves the problem.  I am going to do some
> more checking around the rim but I have yet to find where any  fork
> lift has come through the rim or any repair has been made.
>
> Ron

That sounds like a good quick diagnostic tool... Order a few
replacments... or put on a couple universals to see what happens.

Twisting bass strings is in my experience not all its cracked up to be
when it comes to buzzing.  I know others will dissagree, but I find at
best this provides temporary and conditional relief.  So if the whole
set is shot.... then it is and that might have more to do with the
climate shift then any thing a fork lift could do.

On the other hand... until you confirm that it is bass strings
themselves that are buzzing (or not)... all bets are off !

Cheers
RicB