Best piano in your world.

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 23 May 2004 14:09:30 -0600

I grew up with a Knabe baby grand which had french provincial type legs
with rose carvings at the top and a beautiful wood veneer, cherry, I
think.  It had a rather heavyish action that more accomplished pianists
didn't like.  What it had was a full, round, almost bell-like tone that
kept going and going and....

I've tended to measure pianos I've since met against it.  I have yet to
meet a Steinway (including Ds) that I preferred to it.  I did meet a 7'
Mason and Hamlin at Onofrio's in Denver that improved on my memories.  Now
that's subjectivism as a Sunday amateur pianist.  I tend to prefer what
some might term a "dark & moody" tone.  I have no appreciation for harsh
brilliance in a piano's tone.  I tune a 7' Yamaha that to quote Guy,
"sounds like a bucketful of glass".  They've told me they don't want it
voiced (very bad sonic environment and they equate the tone with power).

As a learning tech I've come to appreciate the string scaling and smooth
action of Yamahas (not their hammers).  I've enjoyed some old Baldwins etc.

Some ramblings,
Andrew