value of "rebuilt" Kimball baby grand

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 20:31:08 -0400

Friends,

An RPT acquaintance of mine is offering me a 1922 4'11" Kimball baby
grand he has been working on in his spare time.  He is young but has a
couple years' experience in a piano shop and is pretty careful about his
work.

When he acquired this piano at a giveaway price, the hammers were
already replaced and were still in very good conditon, nice replacement
keytops, and was refinished.  In addition, he is restringing and
repinning the piano, cleaned up and touched up the plate nicely,
repaired some soundboard cracks, and will recondition the case.  He will
also be regulating the action.  Overall he wants to do a job he can be
pleased with.  I haven't seen the piano yet, but I expect to find he did
a nice job, although maybe not as complete as one would expect on a
Steinway rebuild or something like that.

Neither of us are clear on what the private resale price of such a piano
should be.  Can anyone help?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger