Polishing Ivory

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 25 May 2004 09:38:58 +0200

Good description, but polishing can be better if varying the angles on
the polishing wheels.

very poor language I admit but its late !

Best

Isaac Oleg

As for the technique of sanding/polishing first one direcion and then
90degrees for the next grit, is not a good idea, IMHO. It would work
just
fine on new Ivory, but with the older Ivory, there is invariably
"divots".
If you sand this way, in order to remove, completely the "divots",
you'll
wind up with extremely thin Ivory, that will easily chip! When
slightly
sanding worn Ivory, I use a flat surface with a piece of thick action
cloth
on it. This will allow the sandpaper to conform to the actual "shape"
of the
keytop and the "divots" will be evenly sanded with the rest of the
surface.
This is a real touchy technique that takes finess.
I hope all this helps.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police